Recipe: Tomato Potato Soup (Vegan)
Little by little, the weather is getting cooler, which means that we can finally start ordering those pumpkin spice lattes and cooking up some comfort food that warms our bodies and souls. We want to spread the Joie by sharing this incredibly delicious, but super healthy and easy tomato potato soup recipe to warm you right up on those cold days. You won't believe how much flavor this soup can pack with only 5 ingredients!
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 whole yellow or white onion
- 2 medium sized yellow potatoes
- 5 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of fresh or dried basil
- Dice potatoes in cubes and boil them in a pot until completely cooked and soft.
- In the meantime, cut onions into slices and toss them into a deep pot with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cook onions for 3-5 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Add chopped garlic and cook them until the edges start to turn yellow.
- Chop all the tomatoes into small cubes, then add them in with the garlic and onions.
- Cook tomatoes on medium heat until the texture resembles tomato sauce.
- Add cooked potatoes with 1-2 cups of reserved potato water into the tomato pot.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, blend tomatoes and potatoes together into soup. If you don't have a handheld blender, you can pour all the ingredients in a regular blender or a food processor and blend them there; but you may have to blend in batches.
- You can thicken the soup by adding cornstarch or tapioca starch, or add water if you think it's too thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle chopped basil on top right before serving.